Sunday, July 6, 2008

More on Leadville

The Leadville 100 race is about 4 weeks away.  It's starting to get into my head.  

Check out this clip on youtube of the start.  1,000 cyclists all working for position before the road turns to dirt and gets narrow.  It's by far the sketchiest start I've ever been in and the most stressful part of the race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U03nxFvfVLQ

On Saturday a few of us (Dug, Elden, Sam, Lisa and Ann) went for a training ride up and over the Nebo Loop.  We met at Racer's in Provo at 5:30am.  Riding from Provo made the total distance about 100 miles and I'm guessing about 7,000 ft of vertical (I don't ride with a bike computer and end up getting most of my stats from other riders but I think this is pretty accurate). 

We got an early start which helped keep things cool for the big climb. 

The group was a good size and we were able to keep a steady pace for the entire ride.  

We stopped in Nephi for some lunch at Wendy's.  I ordered a 44oz Diet Coke, a chocolate frosty, and a Jr. Cheeseburger.  It was just enough food to get me through the last 40 miles back to Provo.

I like road biking for the simple fact that you can throw a debit card or a little cash in your jersey and pick up food and drink along the way.  

I need a couple more big rides like this to make sure my legs can go the distance for Leadville. 






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping to pick up a road bike this week and maybe I can join you on some long ones this year.

Anonymous said...

4 weeks!??

Uh oh...Isn't it on the 26th of August.

Oh that's bad: August 9. And me getting ready to go on a two-week vacation.

Time to institute the panick training plan.

Botched

KanyonKris said...

I rode the Nebo Loop last year starting and ending in Payson and my cyclocomputer with altimeter showed 5,500' of climbing. You probably picked up a few more 100' to and from Provo.

Anonymous said...

I am not going to lie, after seeing that Leadville start I am FREAKED OUT!

Rick Sunderlage said...

sleepy- pull that trigger.

botched- please send me your panick plan.

KK- I wouldn'tbe surprised if we picked up an extra 1,500 vertical in the section between provo and payson. I could be wrong.

Sam (VH1)- I have a feeling you are going to pull off something special this year at Leadville.

Grizzly Adam said...

It has been a long time since I did a big endurance race. By big, I mean in participants. I kinda miss that. I ought to do Leadville one of these days really.

Unknown said...

Rick,
this saturday we are doing the porcupine hill climb and then afterwards probably go and do big mountain if you want to get some miles in, call me.

seth