Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Draper ICUP

The 9am start didn't happen due to wet/muddy course conditions. The hour delay turned into 4 hours which meant a lot of hanging out. (Thanks Brad for sharing the CarboRocket tent)

It was hard to manage the food intake when the start kept changing. I hate eating Gu's or Shot Bloks if I don't need to. Rachelle went home and got a run in while I watched the kids which worked out well. She brought me back a peanut butter and honey sandwich. She made one for Sam too which clearly would help him. I think she gave Sam the sandwich with more peanut butter because he beat me up out on the course.

Despite the delay, they ended up modifying the course. No Clarks climb. And no Ghost downhill. I was bummed and thought it was going to be lame racing a shorter, less interesting course, but stuck around anyway. My kids were having a blast playing with the other kids and throwing rocks at the racers.

It turned out that the modified course had more climbing than I thought it would. 3 Laps was plenty.

I got the hole shot and led the SS group through the start lap so my kids would think I was winning, and then dropped back a few spots once we hit first road section. My plan was to keep the wheel of of the lead group and hang back a little. Save a little in the tank for lap 3 and then re-catch the lead group but that never happened.

I managed to keep Sam in sight for a while but never closed the gap. I settled for 5th. Sam took 3rd.

Here is a picture after I punched Sam in the neck at the finish.


vh1 said...

Just wait until you see my HR data. You hurt me plenty on that first climb!

Grizzly Adam said...

That was a lot of hanging out. Preferably I like doing that after I race. But it turned out to be a pretty good day.

Jonnie J said...

Nice work boys. Wish I could have stuck around. There are few things as good as a peanut butter and honey sandwich.

Aaron said...

Nice race Rick. You should have given Sam the leftovers from that sandwich you had earlier last week. And by the way, I saw Jon conveniently take off as soon as the drug testers showed up.

South County Ciclista said...

Nice job,and good pics. Glad I opted for Wake Boarding at Lake Mead instead of waiting around for a rained out race.