Like most cyclists, I am a weather junkie. I check the weather several times per day online and then watch the 5 day every night. I'm pretty sure if I ever lost my job, I could fake it as a weather man. As it got closer to race day, I paid more attention to the forecast. It looked like we would have temps in the mid to high 60's with scattered showers. Ideal conditions for a race. I hate it when its too hot. I don't do well in the heat.
I woke up several times in the night and could hear the rain against the windows. At times, it was coming down pretty good. At first I was pumped. I had registered for the SS class and a little mud didn't bother me. I kind of looked forward to getting a little dirty. But as the night went on, the rain didn't stop. It got worse. By morning, I was no longer pumped. I knew the course would be in bad shape and the chance of racing today was slim.
I got up, checked my Blackberry and had several messages from friends. the first message was from Dug that read "I'm not racing in this. Ick". Sam's message was "Race? Any chance this goes off today?" And then I saw Jamie's message telling us that the race had been postponed due to too much rain. Thanks to Jamie (and Brad P. who drove to the race site to get the update), I was able to crawl back in bed and listen the rain some more.
Instead of MTB racing, I busted out the road bike (again) and gambled on a ride between rain showers. I was able to climb up AF to Tibble Fork and then back up Suncrest without getting wet. Rest day tomorrow and then a little Wed night race action.