Monday, May 19, 2008

Clarks TT

I met Dug this morning at 6:30am for a pre-work mtb ride. I had plans to take it easy and enjoy the ride, but as we dropped down to the saddle and started the climb up Jacobs, I noticed my legs felt really good. Usually that steep grunt out of the saddle is painful on a SS but this morning, I cruised right up without even trying. I started thinking that this might be the morning to try the Clarks TT. The last time I tried it was towards the end of the season last year and I posted an 11:23 or something like that.

Last week was a heavy ride week for me and then my wife went out of town so I took Sat and Sun off to hang with the kids. My legs were rested and felt very snappy.

We got the top of Jacobs and Dug started asking about the "green can" that was supposed to mark the start for the Jacob's TT. I wanted no part of this. Dug has always been much faster than me on the downhill and I knew I couldn't match his speed. But it did mean that I could now try my TT up Clarks and not feel bad about it.

Dug disappeared quickly from sight down Jacobs. It's his home court and he is one of the fastest dowhillers I know. Even on a rigid SS. It doesn't matter. He beat me by half a minute (probably more).

Clarks was next. As we approched the bridge, I got that pit in my stomach. The kind you get before a race. I knew the next 13 minutes or so was going to be painful. A quick drink, a deep breath and I was off. Dug agreed to time himself too. I was glad because having someone behind me, chasing, would help me not give up. I've started the Clarks TT many times before only to throw in the towel after a few minutes.

The first minute, I felt great. I saw Justin J. coming down the trail. He stopped to chat but I kept going. I yelled something about a TT and didn't even look back (Sorry Justin).

I've never pushed myself this hard before on a bike. I was breathing so loud that I thought anyone within a 1 mile radius could hear me. My mouth was wide open and my tongue was resting on my top tube. I wanted to stop but I knew Dug was behind me suffering just as much.
I kept waiting for the vanilla protien shake I had for breakfast to make its way up. I manged to not throw up but could taste it.

I came in at 10:57. A sub 11 time was great for me. I don't think I can go any faster than that. And to be honest, I don't plan to try it again. It's pure agony.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got that pit in my stomach just from reading about it. Way to set the bar high..or is that low.

KanyonKris said...

Dang Rick, that's a smokin' time! I'd be happy to break under 15, under 14 I'd be thrilled. But the pain. The TT pain cave is deep and dark.

Flyin' Ute said...

Can you give me direction to this Time Trial place. I'd love to weigh in.

Mike

Aaron said...

Good work. I was actually able to give the Clarks TT a go on Saturday morning, and you smoked me by over a minute.

Rick Sunderlage said...

Brad K- I think you can do a sub 10

KK- I think the Brads or Jamie can be hired to ride behind you nd buzz your tire the entire way. That should help shave a few seconds off your PB.

Flyin' Ute- The Clarks trail can be found on the Utahmountainbiking.com site. It starts just to the South East of the Draper temple site.

Aaron- If you bust out the Paragon, I'm sure you could beat that time.

UtRider said...

When is Dug going to submit his result?

Anonymous said...

oh, you were feeling snappy. you know, we should have a code for rides, and if you're feeling snappy, you should have to ride alone. i mean, you will anyway, right?

sub 11, in may. that is sick, you freak. i'm pretty sure i have a sub 11 in me, i'll post it, oh, 10 years ago.

i did 13:45. 3 minutes slower than you. the only way i was motivating you is if you actually killed and roasted the clarks trail chupacabra while you were resting.

i did post a 3:51 on the jacobs TT. but i had fear in my heart. i need to relax.

Grizzly Adam said...

That is smokin' fast.

KanyonKris said...

The Clark's TT blog has been updated with a handy quick reference map, for all you outtatowners. ;-)

tibiker said...

Damn it Rick, now I've gotta go give it a whirl to try and better my time. It's gonna hurt...alot.

BTW, BP has only a day or two before his self imposed attempt to break 10. He mentioned it to someone (Bob, aka stupidbike maybe) that he'd make an attempt at sub 10 by May 20th or something. He was just reminded that his deadline was approaching.

Any record attempt should be made quickly because he's going to set the bar out of reach for most of us.

Aaron said...

I don't know about that. I should have sent in my time on Saturday morning so I could have enjoyed having the top time for a day or two. I think I missed my chance.

Rick Sunderlage said...

Jamie- I'm waiting for you to throw down a sub 10. I think you could do it.

Aaron- I think your time is going to keep you in the top 3 for a long time.

Flyin' Ute said...

Rode up the Hog from P.G. very fast. Then hit Clarks from the culdesac to the dirt road. 13:48

You were flying to do sub 11.

Anonymous said...

lewis, the time trial starts at the bridge, not the cul de sac. you added a couple minutes.

in short, bridge to the sign just SHORT of the dirt road, the one that says something about muddy conditions.

enjoy. again.

UtRider said...

dug - Email me your tt result and I'll add you to the list.

Hopefully I'll get results soon from Brad K, Jon, Jamie and Brad P, the latter of which is under contract to produce a sub 10 minute ride.

Flyin' Ute said...

I think your being generous thinking that saved me 2 minutes, but I will go do it again from the bridge.

I will ride the hog slower this time as well. If I thought I had a chance I would drive to it, but you boys are just too fast.

I will be happy with a sub thirteen and I will probably have to be feeling pretty snappy to manage that.

IamMatt said...

Congrats on the great time.

Anonymous said...

Rick that is super fast. . Anything from 10-12 is freakish. By the way be careful next time when you are moaning in pain, it attracts wild animals.

KanyonKris said...

Brad P is now the top dog. He threw down a 10:38 time. Crazy.

Rick Sunderlage said...

BP- I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. Ouch. That had to hurt. Nice one!

UtRider said...

What's crazy is that BP logged 3 sub 11 minute tt's while doing low cadence intervals up Clark's. 10:38 was the fastest time but he also did 10:50 and 10:59. Wait until he does it for real...

KanyonKris said...

UTRider, look at the sickness you created with that Clarks TT blog. I fear the Draper trails patrollers will start complaining about all the barf along the trail. It's all fun and games until someone has a coronary.