Monday, January 25, 2010

Closet Training

Earlier this winter, I got up at 5:30am for a spin class at the local gym. Proud of myself for having the discipline to train during the off season. Hoping this would give me a small advantage over the guys I usually ride with, or at least help me keep their wheel come Spring. After the class was over, I was on my way down the stairs and ran into Tony P. who was on his way to cycling camp.

We both stopped. Surprised to see each other at the gym that early on a week day in the middle of winter. I remember feeling a little annoyed. Annoyed that one of guys I am most competitive with was also up early during the winter for a "training" session. Annoyed that my spin session was not giving me any advantage.

We said our hellos. Much like Jerry and Newman in Seinfeld. Later that morning, I got an email from Tony.

"you looked surprised to see me at the gym this morning...."

It's funny to catch a friend sneaking in an extra workout. I think we all have our secret sessions that we don't talk about. It gives us hope.

10 comments:

tp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tp said...

Unfortunatly, the feeling is mutual my friend. I wasn't very happy to see you either. I thought I could fly under the radar until that 1st spring ride up AF Canyon, then boooya! like a creeping ninja I'd ride off the front. That's what kept me motivated until that fateful early morning when our paths crossed. Now I just spin in fear of loosing any fitness on you.

tibiker said...

I say let's make a pact to stop this nonsense effective immediately. Surely there are better things we could be doing with our valuable time this winter. So I am officially not training any more.
Who's joining me?

JZ said...

Tibiker, who are you kidding, that is the oldest trick in the book. Lets all stop training, yeah right, so you can keep training secretly. Were onto you.

Blogs are really bad for this because you read about all the riding everyone is doing and it makes you feel like you are behind. I just console myself by believing that all you bloggers are just lying.

Of course, I have been training at least 8-10 hours a week all winter. :)

Nick Rico said...

I was in spin class today thinking - "TP, Tibiker and Rick 'not his real name' are mine this year."

Then I read this post...

Rick Sunderlage said...

By the way...I missed you guys on the double Suncrest ride yesterday.

Ski Bike Junkie said...

Rick, I would have joined you for the double Suncrest except you were already done with the North side by the time I got home. Then I got out of my car and it was cold. And I remembered why my bike hangs in the garage, untouched, all winter long. I hate riding in the cold.

tibiker said...

Thought it was worth a shot. Oh well, back to the spinner and trainer.

Jonnie J said...

TiBiker is so full of crap. He is the captain of the closet training society. If I can quote TP "this is the guy that taped AYA on his stem to motivate him through the long winter training season." There is not pact to be had here.

Daren said...

This sounds a lot like trailhead banter. "I'm not feeling well today so let's just go easy...I'm just on a recovery ride...I haven't been on my bike for over a week..."
Lies all of them.