Sunday, October 5, 2008

Things You Should Know About Fruita

I just got back from three days in Fruita, CO. Good times hanging out and riding with the guys. There were eight of us in the group. Jamie, Trent, Jon, Jeff, Ryan, Keith, and LeGrand. This was my second time riding in Fruita which makes me an expert on the area. Here are some things you should know about Fruita, CO.

  • Fruita gets 9" of rain per year. 8.9" of it falls whenever I am there.

  • The dirt in Rabbit Valley is not dirt. It's clay.

  • The Holiday Inn Express in Grand Junction has a hose in the back. This seems like a silly stat but trust me. It is an important one (stay away from the maintenance guy)

  • The best post ride grub is at The Hot Tomato. Get the blue cheese dressing.

  • Be sure the pack an extra bottom bracket if Jon L. is coming along
  • A movie in Fruita is $9.00
  • Bring your calculator. Fruita works off a grid system and they like to use fractions to name roads. 18 & 7/8 road, or 19 & 1/3 road. Crazy.
  • If your ride a singlespeed, a 34 x 20 is the perfect gear ratio
  • It's true what they say. Fruita is all about the singletrack.

I highly recommend it. I like it better than Moab and it's only a 4 hour drive from SLC. I can't think of a better way to unwind from a stressful end of quarter work week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could've made it. Good choice on the SS for the trip. Even if it's caked with clay, it still pedals.

KanyonKris said...

Hopefully the tires didn't cake up and get jammed in the frame. That's what happens to me in clay.

I'm scheduled for my first Fruita trip in 2 weeks - I'm psyched.

tibiker said...

KK, your weather will be perfect. Like he said, the annual rainfall happened this past weekend. It's all clear now until next year.

I think Rick could have pedaled a 44X20 this weekend, with the new bike and all. He was an animal on that thing.

KanyonKris said...

That's right, it was the first big trip for the new Niner. Looks even better with mud on it.