Monday, December 20, 2010

DNF

Saturday was UTCX #11. The last real race of the season. Double points (that means nothing for me but I felt the need to point that out). It was cold, wet and windy- very windy. miserable conditions for racing bikes in lycra but for some reason, the more miserable the conditions, the more I want to ride/race.

I showed up about 30 min before the start. Made my way to the registration window and noticed the window was closed (it was one of those metal rolling type windows) but had a sign posted that said "registration open". I knocked on the window and the guy inside the booth opened it and said:

"Seriously? What are you doing here? Don't you have anything better to do on a Saturday?".

Needless to say, conditions were not ideal for racing, watching, or putting on a bike race. I responded:

"I've spent the past 5 days sitting in a conference room for business meetings. I need this".

I paid my money and went to go warm up.

At the start line, there were 5 guys including me and 1 girl in the singlespeed flight. I looked around and noticed all 4 of the guys were guys who are faster than me. Bo Pitkin (coming off an impressive result at CX Nationals last week), Ryan Ashbridge, Steve Wasmund, and Christian Johnson.

Perfect I thought. I'm officially racing for last place. I didn't care. I was on my bike and the course was wet and muddy. I love racing in the mud.

The first lap I was holding my own switching between 3rd and 4th place. But Bo was behind me (probably eating a ham sandwich or reading a book). Eventually, he came around and started passing everyone. We all stuck together for the first 1.5 laps and then Bo put it into gear and took off. I found myself fighting it out for 4th place with Christian. We took turns pulling and kept a fast pace for 3 laps and then my rear brake cable snapped and my wheel locked up. Race was over.

You know the best motivation for the winter? Finish the season with a DNF and replay that race over and over again in your head.

It's killing me. I want redemption.

3 comments:

StupidBike said...

relax, at least you didn't head t st george Thursday evening for 3 days of riding, only to be forced home Saturday morning due to rain. Friday on gooseberry in the rain and snow was fun though.

Rick Sunderlage said...

Bob- there is a group heading down for a day trip on the 29th. You want some redemption? Come with. First 44oz drink is on me on the way down.

South County Ciclista said...

Please take it easy on us during the next group ride.