Monday, June 21, 2010

Don't Derby With Your Wife

It seems obvious, right? Don't derby with your wife. Bad things can happen. And they did.

We were just finishing up a great ride in corner canyon. It was the last climb up Canyon Hollow. 30 seconds from the top, I could smell the finish line. I don't know what came over me. Maybe too many races last week left me in race mode. Maybe it was just instinct but I felt the urge to make a pass on the single track. There was a slight opening to the left. Enough room to surge and get around with little or no bumping (I don't recall any bumping but my wife remembers an elbow bump). The point is, I made a sweet pass only to look back and see Rachelle on the ground. One foot still clipped in.

Don't derby with your wife. She won't like it. I promise.

But you know what? She looks good with some MTB scars on her arms. Real good.

4 comments:

KanyonKris said...

Tell her how sexy those scabs look and how turned on you are. Should work. Well, that and a dozen roses, and making diner, and bathing the kids.

I almost had a derby moment Saturday. Jolene asked if I wanted to get by and at a bulge in the trail I sprinted and just cleared her front wheel.

If you crash your wife, is it best to go back or just keep riding?

dug said...

once while skiing down the grenz glacier above zermatt (yes, that zermatt), i ran into kim, and almost knocked her into a bottomless crevasse.

that was 10 years ago. she still won't ski anywhere near me.

Rick Sunderlage said...

KK- I think it's best to stop but avoid eye contact.

Dug- I'll be your wing man anytime.

South County Ciclista said...

Had a similar incident on the road bike with my wife just as she was gaining confidence at higher speeds. I have never felt so bad.